For the tofu meatballs:
For the sauce:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
2. Chuck the tofu, dark soy sauce and nutritional yeast into a food processor.
3. Crack in an egg, sprinkle in the breadcrumbs and pulse a few times, until you have a semi-coarse paste that holds together when squeezed.
4. Form the mix into golf ball-sized balls with damp hands.
5. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
6. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and garlic. Fry in the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, until softened slightly.
7. Dollop in the tomato paste. Fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
8. Tip in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until reduced by half.
9. Slice the sub rolls in half, open them out like books and toast cut-side up under a hot grill/broiler for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
10. Chuck the meatballs into the tomato sauce and stir to coat them fully.
11. Spoon the meatballs onto the toasted rolls along with a little more sauce.
12. Lay slices of mozzarella on top and grill for 2-3 minutes, until melted.
13. Allow to cool slightly, then tuck in and get ready for a mega cheese pull!
Sign up to the newsletter to download this recipe and more delicious cooks!