Garides Saganaki (Greek Shrimp Saganaki)
This Community Recipe was uploaded by the user theduodishes.
For official Sorted® recipes please click here.
This meal, shrimp saganaki, is as easy as they come. Once the fragrant onion and fennel slices are soft, and the fresh tomatoes have melted to form a rough sauce of sorts, it’s just a matter of minutes before you eat.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp ouzo
- 1 lb vine tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 small yellow chile pepper, thinly sliced, to taste
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 lb large shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 3 tbsp pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup crumbled Greek feta cheese
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the fennel, onions and ouzo. Toss to coat with the oil and cook for 5-7 minutes or until translucent and softened.
Add the tomatoes, oregano, garlic and salt. Stir well, reduce heat to medium and cook for another 8-10 minutes, allowing the tomatoes to soften and break down.
Stir in the chile pepper, lemon zest and shrimp. Cook for approximately 30 seconds. Just as all of the shrimp begin to turn pink, sprinkle the olives and feta cheese on top. Slide into the oven, and bake for 5-7 minutes, or just until the cheese softens and the shrimp are cooked through.
Hungry for more? Try one of these!