Awesome Chilli With Beef And Chocolate
This Community Recipe was uploaded by the user louise.
For official Sorted® recipes please click here.
My go to dish when friends are round, stick it in a pot and the longer you leave it, the better! The recipe was given to me by a close friend and is totally adaptable to what you have in the cupboard and the things you like. So go crazy!
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 squirt tomato purée
- 1 splash Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400 g chuck / braising steak
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 8 mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500 ml beef stock (or water)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tin beans e.g kidney / butter bean / mixed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 fresh chilli (or more??)
First To Fry...
• Brown the chunks of steak in a hot pan, and put to one side. This will be the same pan you cook the chilli in, so make sure there's room to accommodate all the other ingredients later.
• Fry your onions in the same pan with a little oil, followed by a your garlic, tomato pureé, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and chilli flakes.
Let It Sweat..
• Allow your onions and spices to sweat on a medium heat to release all of the flavours.
• Once your onions begin to soften, add your tomatoes and beef stock along with the remaining herbs and spices, and worcester sauce.
Low And Slow..
• Add the beef to the liquid and allow to cook, on a low heat for 2 hours with the lid on. Remove the lid towards the end to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken.
• If you've got less time, cut your steak chunks into smaller pieces and they will cook quicker.
The Best Bit..
• About 10 minutes before serving, drain your beans and add to the pan, along with the mushrooms and chocolate if you haven't already eaten it.
• Serve with generous amounts of sour cream, fresh avocado, rice and nachos.
• If you're feeling creative, chunky cucumber, chunky tomato, diced shallot and fresh coriander make a quick salsa for your nachos.
• What a feast!
Hungry for more? Try one of these!