Baz took on the chefs to make carbonara using your top tips from Reddit! Here’s what he came up with.
1. Fill a large saucepan with hot water. Place it over a high heat, add a generous pinch of salt and allow it to come to a boil.
2. Once at a boil, add the pasta, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Do not discard the cooking water – we will use this later.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the chopped guanciale and cook until the fat has rendered and the meat is crispy on the outside but still slightly chewy.
4. Add two whole eggs and one yolk to a large mixing bowl along with the grated cheese and a generous grind of black pepper. Beat the mix well.
5. Warm your serving bowls in the oven at a very low temperature or by filling them with boiling water. Tip the excess rendered fat from the frying pan into a small bowl.
6. Transfer the pasta and a little of its cooking water to the frying pan with the guanciale, scraping up any sticky bits of pork from the bottom of the pan.
7. Take the frying pan off the heat, tip in the egg mixture and stir well until slightly thickened and almost custardy – the sauce should just coat the pasta. Use a little of the reserved pasta water to adjust the consistency.
8. Finish with a little extra grated cheese and black pepper over the top.
Want more delicious recipes? Try our app for free!