Welcome to SortedFood...
The online hub for beginners & pros.
There are hundreds of quick, easy, delicious recipe videos plus a whole load of skills, tips & tricks and cool food stuff from around the web.
Whether you want to get smarter at cooking, save some money, or just have a good laugh in the kitchen, we can definitely get you SORTED.
What is herb butter good for?
Herb butter is a really handy ingredient to have kicking about in the fridge or freezer so that you can use it as and when you need. Great for starting off soups, sauces and risottos or to sex up the simplest bits of grilled fish, meat or bread.
Make up your own versions of flavoured butters using a few leftover ingredients before they have to be thrown away… what is waste now, could really liven up dishes later on.
• Garlic and parsley
• Lemon and thyme
• Chilli and coriander
• Lime and cumin seeds
• Celery salt and cracked black pepper
• Blue cheese and sage
1. Choose one or two complimentary flavours for your butter… herbs, spices, garlic, chilli, citrus zest all work well. Try to use ingredients you already have rather than buying specifically for the job.
2. Wash and finely chop or zest the ingredients as small as possible.
3. Soften the butter until it is workable. 10 seconds in a microwave might help.
4. Beat the flavouring into the butter and season well with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon the flavoured butter onto a sheet of cling film to make a sausage shape.
6. Roll up tightly, squeezing out any air bubbles, and twist the ends in opposite directions to form a log of butter.
7. Chill in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months until required.
*Top Tip – chilling the butter, then slicing it into pieces before freezing makes it easier to defrost just the amount you need as you go along.