A lot of people are intimidated my mussels. That’s often just because people aren’t sure how to cook or eat them. Here’s a handy list to take away some of the mussel mystery.
2. Mussels and muscles are not the same thing.
3. Mussels have lots of water within their shells which is why you don’t need to add water when you steam them. They literally steam themselves from the inside in ready seasoned water.
4. There are 13 different mussel recipes on SORTEDfood.com (well, there were when I wrote this…)
5. James made some mussels in the studio the other day and they didn’t taste horrible. Not really surprising mind, as we said, they’re super easy to cook.
6. People have been eating mussels for more than 20,000 years, so they must be alright.
7. Mussels need to be alive when you cook them. If the shells are already open before you cook them, chuck them out! Likewise, if they stay closed when they are cooked don’t force them open, just leave them be.
8. Assuming you don’t get your hands on them they can live for up to 50 years.
9. Mussels are super high in B12 and sometimes considered a brain food.
If you liked this you’ll love…